Sunday, December 21, 2008

This is Christmas!

This is Christmas to me. My neighbor growing up, Betty, used to make these Greek cookies every year at Christmas. She would bring a plate over and let us know how many we each could eat. No more than two. Last year she finally shared the recipe with us. I made them while my mom was in town. This year I was on my own. The kids aren't crazy about them, which makes more for me! They are not too sweet and contain anise, not necessarily a kid favorite. Maybe we learned to love them growing up because we knew that if we didn't eat our share quickly someone else may get to it first. I'm not sure, but I do enjoy them. Just don't ask me how many I've eaten.


This is Christmas to the kids! I built the houses from Graham Crackers and put out a dish of candy that would make any kid squeal. The kids had a great time. Brock and Trent almost made me cry as they were able to decorate without assistance. I guess I just don't always realize how big they are getting. I will always think of them as babies (and often refer to them as such), but they are growing quickly.
Trent was very patient and took his time to frost each candy and place it on the house.

The big kids we just intereseted in putting tons of candy on their houses. And then there was Brock. He started just decorating, but then he decided it was more fun to load his plate with all the candy. What a fun night!






5 comments:

Loren said...

too funny about the cookies from betty. we always made an italian type cookie called a pizzelle and it has anise in it too. i still love them today.

the gingerbread houses look great!!

Mara said...

I'm glad you got your cookies made, Michelle. They look yummy so I hope you have some left tonight!

Noelani said...

Happy to see you blogging!! Merry Christmas!!

Melissa said...

I got your Christmas card today and had to jump on and see your blog! So fun to see your kids and family! It will be fun to stay in better contact with the blogs!

Natalie said...

I just got your Christmas card (loved it by the way), and had to check out your blog. I have to start by saying you are my hero, to be able to survive 19 days without Rusty AND remodel while he was gone. Of course, I would expect nothing less of you. Those cookies remind me of Christmas too...my Italian great-grandmother used to make some that looked similar, and I loved them as a child. Sadly, no one in my family learned how to make them before she died, so I haven't had them since I was a kid. Your picture made me smile.