Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Day 6

Rusty called this morning. I wouldn't usually jump out of the shower to check the phone, but I'm glad I did. He's is Kakamanga (?) and doing well. It is an area with extreme poverty and a lack of good hygiene. The hospital beds are basically cots and there are two patients to many of the beds. I asked what the craziest thing he saw was and WOW.... A local was mugged by a few guys with machetes. His arm was all but cut off. Fortunately the doctors were able to reattach it and he was having feeling in his hand. The next day another person came in with the same thing. Charming story. But for the good, they are doing lots of work and lots of service. It sounds like he is doing dentistry on the dignitaries of the area, the doctors and kids.
He'll leave for Cairo on Monday morning and then to Zurich on Wednesday evening. Then Sunday he'll leave for home!

2 comments:

Loren said...

wow - quite the adventure. I am quite sure he will never forget this experience.

Jen Childers said...

Yea..I'm so glad that you guys were able to talk! That is a crazy story. I'm glad he's enjoying his time there and can't wait to hear more about it.